Bowood House & Gardens

Bowood House was purchased by the 2nd Earl of Shelburne in 1754 and completed soon afterwards. Interesting rooms include Robert Adam’s Library, the Laboratory where Dr Joseph Priestley discovered oxygen in 1774, and the Chapel that is still used for family services.
On display within the numerous Exhibition Rooms are remarkable collections of family heirlooms and works of art built up over 250 years. These include Georgian costumes; Victoriana, Indiana and superb collections of watercolours, miniatures and jewellery.
The pleasure grounds cover approximately 100 acres, with the formal gardens and terraces immediately around the house.

Published by Dauntsey Rectory

Country House Accomodation, Dauntsey, Great Somerford, Malmesbury