This is our local church, St James the Great, opposite the Rectory. It dates back to 1177 and there are many historical features from dates etched into pews by bored youngsters, to the medieval doom board, the prime historical feature – one of only five painted wooden tympanums in the country. The two characters under Jesus are John and Mary the mother of Jesus; these have been painted over in the past by residents of the manor house who had themselves put into the painting. The painting was designed to put the fear of God into all who looked upon it. The tower has five bells, of which three are from the 17th century.